Sunday, February 05, 2006

"Been spending most our lives living in a gansta's paradise.."--Coolio



So last night I went to see this play that my friend Mark's been working on at his school. I pretty much didn't understand a WORD of it, but it was magical for the moment when, like, 10 Korean kids start busting out kareoke style to "Gansta's Paradise." I pretty much laughed for about 5 minutes straight. It was TOO much. WAY too funny. But the play was pretty decent (the story anyway) and I was glad to go to support Mark.

It was a little weird hanging out with his Korean girlfriend all night, because he was busy with play stuff, but she's really sweet and we have quite a bit in common. Turns out, she's a little rock star--she plays drums in a band. How fun is that?

Speaking of fun, lemme go back a bit and mention this: before Lunar New Year, our dance teacher gave us all a little notebook. Our picture was on the front, and a personal note with all our songs was inside. A sweet gesture, I have to say. But here's the best part: my note.


Ha ha HA! The best part is the P.S. "Somebody helped writting acutally I can't speak English." Awesome! It was really cute, and both The J and I appreciated the effort.

Moving forward in time, let me discuss today. Today I had planned on writing a monthly plan (Keep in mind that the people at school are up my @$$ about writing a montly plan when I don't have a copy of the books and neither do the kids... It's fine. Clearly, I'm a magician as well as a teacher.) and going to church. Well, Lindsay messaged me around 11 and we decided that her, John, AdamandChrista and I would go see this Resissance/Baroque art exhibit and get a little shopping on. So we headed out and saw the exhibit (cool DaVincci stuff, some cool paintings) and I proceeded to buy jewelry and a cool art book. Then we headed out to Apgujeong to get some nose studs for Linds. Here is where we went.


Yes, the Rodeo Drive of Korea. Kinda strange-e but funny all the same. Anyway, expensive shopping but cheap nose jewelry. Key.

After that, Christa needed jeans so we went to Dongdemun and hit up Migleore. It was KEY because I FINALLY found a dang plain black long-sleeved shirt, and it was a little bit awesome. I'd almost given up hope. Also bought a fancy lookin' school bag that my computer will fit in (it's time to let the backpack rest!) from a guy with tons of tattoos. Now, at home, this isn't a big deal, but in Korea, no one has tattoos or peircings. I wanted to be his friend, so I bought his bag. It's fine. Also met a guy named Kyle who's in town working with Grease! (he worked backstage). He's like, "Are you here on vacation?" and I'm like, "I work here. Teaching English." Which is so funny because, if you're a foreigner here, that's what people pretty much assume. NO ONE thinks you're on vacation.

Anyway, while wandering around Dondemun, I found this shirt.


Is that offensive to anyone else? I mean... is it? That's so wrong... I didn't even know what to say.

So yeah, got home, rocked a lesson plan and now I'm watching some 24 before I pass out.

It might be too cold in here to sleep, though. :(

Much love.

3 Comments:

Blogger omega7j said...

Because who in their right mind would just decide to go to Korea for a vacation!?!? lol. Anyways, glad you had a good weekend. Enjoy the 24....I think im gonna start when I get home...lol. Im gonna need some form of entertainment :)

2:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No kidding... even HE wasn't here for vacation.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That shirt... WTF...

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home