Tuesday, January 03, 2006

"Why don't you take my picture, 'cause I won't remember?"--Filter

More Vietnam pics... Here we go!

The rest of the first day, after the tunnels, we spent touring around the city. We went to a cathedral, the post office, the War Museum, the History Museum, one of many Buddhist temples, and we ate at this restaurant that Bill Clinton ate at when he came to Vietnam in 2000. We also saw this cool market, and went to a tailor to have an ao dai (a-o zai) made. This is the traditional Vietnam dress, and EVERYONE wears them.



This is The J and I at the History Museum.

Spiral incense at the temple. It signifies the spiral that is reincarnation. When the spiral burns up, there's red paper at the top, signifying reaching Nirvana.

Proof I was actually there...

This is the Sai Gon traffic. Motorbikes EVERYWHERE, compeltely different from Korea. Oh yeah, and there's no crosswalks. We just had to bob and weave our way through. This is a street we actually crossed.

Day 2--Christmas Day.

We did a tour of the Mekong Delta. We had our own private boat, and a tour of the four islands there: Dragon, Turtle, Phoenix and Coconut. We ate tropical fruit, drank coconut juice out of actual coconuts, and were generally given the princess treatment. Goooood times.

On our private boat, with our coconuts.

This little guy was our lunch on day 2. Yummy!

Me, in the hat, on the Mekong River. Palm trees!! :)

Me and The J, in our ao dai. We left Saigon the next morning for Hoi An.

Hoi An, let me tell you, is the place where dreams come true. Every dream I ever had for myself was never this glorious. Hoi An is a town on the coast, and it's just chock FULL of tailors. They can make you ANYTHING, including taylor made shoes. Well let me tell YOU, I sure took advantage of this place. I even got my legs threaded (the pull out all the hair on your legs using thread as, like, tweezers), an experience not too many people can say they've had.

I was a little bit excited by the mosquito net in our room... It's fine. Wouldn't you be?


Me, and the spoils of war. Two dresses, one suit, one shirt, one pair of lounge pants, a coat and six pairs of shoes, all tailor made for me. Awesome! But the best purchase I made there, by far, was a $7 North Face bag to carry it all home it. :)

Yes, there were things of acutal relevance to see near Hoi An. This picture is from My Son (me son) where there are relics of a bunch of temples built by the Cham people. There are 54 cultural groups in Vietnam. The Viet people make up about %84, and the rest are cultural minorities. The Cham is one group. They built these Hindu temples hundreds of years ago, then moved to another part of Vietnam.

Did you know that? I bet not!

Okay, enough for tonight. Bed time.

Much love.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I SOOO want to travel in my lifetime. I am uber jealous of you!

-Jen M.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A) Your boobs look totally huge in the first pictre

2) What is that on your plate on day 2?

X) I hate to break it to you, but they thread here in the US too.

Tiffany

5:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

a) Thanks. ;)
2) A fish. Our guide Kong (the Konger) kept saying "Elephant Ear Fish."
X)Maybe so, but does it cost $5?

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home