Sunday, January 14, 2007

Seeing some sights

Wow. I had a jam-packed Saturday! I went to the Military Memorial Museum, an art show called From Van Gogh to Picasso, then I went out dancing with Phil and Seeta and it was an all-around great day.


I got up and went out to the Military Memorial War Museum, which is located behind Korea's Military Memorial, which I saw in my early months here. The museum is basically about all the wars Korea has fought, from the years 100 right up until the Korean and Vietnam wars. It was really interesting to see the ancient military tools and battles and learn a little bit about that part of Korean history.


The section on the Korean war was really moving, and it also led me to a greater understanding of why Koreans do some of the things they do. Many of the common behaviors I see actually have roots in the Korean war. Plus there was this sadness about it all; Korea is one of the world's only divided nations (if not THE only, I'm not sure) and it's a shame. If I feel the sadness of the situation, what must it be like for them? I can't even imagine.


This museum also had one of the most moving tributes to fallen soldiers I've ever seen. It's a big, circular room with a giant stone basin in it. In the basin is a pool of water and the water bubbles in the middle. Above this bubbling section of the pool is a hole in the tall ceiling, where one simple beam of light shines down and makes the moving water sparkle like something from another world. I tried to take a picture of it, but of course it pales in comparison with the real thing. You can't even see the beam of light. But trust me, it was really, really beautiful.



I took a couple of other pictures around the museum, so here they are. This one is me in front of this huge, old boat they had. It kinda reminded me of the boats I saw in Vietnam. Can't remember what they're called...

And a closer side-view...

And finally, the view from the entrance to the museum. Pretty cool in person.

You can't really see them there but next to that giant thing in the middle are some statues. These items are the war memorial part of the place.

Okay, so after that I came home and ate lunch and changed my clothes only to leave again for the art exhibition. I went with Phil (an art guy) and Lance (Jody Gore in Korea) so basically it was the funnest thing ever. I love me some homos, let's be honest about it. Other than my excellent company, the show itself was pretty amazing. I got to see works by Degas, Van Gogh, Monet, Toulouse-La Trec, Renoir, Picasso... Pretty much ANY artist you've ever heard of. It was seriously amazing. I can't believe I've seen a Picasso and a Van Gogh up close!

Here are just two of the works I got to see. This is Poplars at Saint-Rémy by Van Gogh. It's a pretty famous one.

This is my favorite painting in the whole show. It's called The Secret Life and was painted by Rene Magritte.

It may not look like much, but when you see it for real, you can't stop staring at it. It's mesmerizing.

The show was great, especially as narrated in Southern commentary by Lance. Each time there was a painting with a person who looked a little... strange, Lance would go, "We don't talk about it but..." SO funny. And I loved the moment when he BURST out laughing at something I said, and everyone was staring at him. Awesome. He is my new best friend and it sucks that I'm leaving in two weeks because he's kinda my favorite person.

After a stop for a cup of tea (Where we watched with rapt attention while this girl gave the group of guys she was with a dressing down. I could just hear the "Well? What've you got to say for yourself?" in her Korean. Awesome.) we met up with Seeta and ate some Mexican food (YUM) and went off to drink and dance the night away. It was a great night. I got to meet the most famous Korean gay actor! Granted, he's only the "most famous" because he's the ONLY Korean gay actor (that's out at least) but still. I just spent the whole night laughing and talking and dancing with people I really enjoy, and how often in life do I get to do that? Not enough, recently. Oh man, good times. But let me just mention that gay boys in Korea (foreign or Korean) are WAY hotter than gay boys back home, which is tragic for me but not so much for gay boys. Sometimes a gay bar can be quite depressing. :)

Let's see... Oh. I changed my travel plans. I'm now going to Thailand, then Hong Kong and Macau, then Beijing, then onto Australia and New Zealand. I decided laying on the beach for a week would be KEY and that's what I'm gonna do. An open invitation to meet me in Thailand is officially extended to anyone reading this. Seriously. Come hang out with me.

Much love.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would give my left ARM to meet you on the beach. That sounds wonderful right now...

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty awesome about the monument with the light.
Take care traveling alone to all those different places. I am sure you will make friends along the way and will really enjoy yourself.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home