Thursday, July 29, 2010

In Which Life is Nerd-tastic

I've got tons to report on, and my time in Boston in running short, but I'm gonna try and keep this one shorter than the last 'cause let's be real: that was a little too epic.

I somehow ended up with three whole days off, a magical occurrence, and I took full advantage of them. On Wednesday, a group of us went to the science museum, which we really needed a whole day for and I only had about two hours for. I'm glad I went, don't get me wrong, and I had a blast, but to really get my money's worth, I should have been there all day.

There was a cool M.C. Escher exhibit talking about perspective and optical illusion. There was a reptile show where this docent tried to convince us that a snake-like creature was really a lizard, when anyone with brains clearly recognized it as those creepy sand creature thingys from the 80s movie Tremors. There was a lightning show, which wasn't as spectacular as I wanted it to be, but I did manage to get this "Mad Scientist" photo, so it was fine.

I think my favorite part was this playground area that taught us about things like inertia and balance, but I just thought it was a fun place to play/take a cute picture with my friends. :)


Many laughs happened that day, so nothing was really wasted. I couldn't spend as much time there as I would have liked to because that evening a poet I really love, Jon Sands, was doing a set at a place in Cambridge called the Cantab Lounge, which is really THE place for spoken word in the area.

I've been "into" spoken word for a few months now--sort of, I don't know, exploring the world of poetry and performing it and really just watching videos and trying to learn. Jon is amazing--some of his lines just take my breath away with their poignant perfection. Listen to him speak and you'll know what I mean. If you'd like to check out Jon's work, click here to see him performing "A Workings List of Things I Will Never Tell You" or here to see "Mollie & Jacob" which he wrote for his brother Jacob's wedding to his now sister-in-law Mollie, and both of which he performed for us. Because he knows I love them. *sigh*

He's a mid-western boy from Ohio, which I can forgive ONLY because a) it's not his fault b) he's so amazing and c) he got out when he could. He did several poems I'm familiar with, and I got to meet him after the show. I'm pretty sure I told him he was a rock star several times and then invited him to Miami. Whatever, it's fine.

I felt awkward about taking pictures of him... so I did a grainy cell phone shot. It's crappy but it's Jon Sands. Now, I was originally supposed to be sleeping in Salem when I saw Jon, but I called my B & B and asked to move my reservation to another day (I couldn't cancel because I'd still have to pay... so I might as well just move the date), which was just the next night.

I decided to take the ferry to Salem because I like boats and because I'd rather make the trip above the ground rather than below it. I met a lovely British boy on the way over (HOW do I do it?!) and had a lovely, sunny ride. On the way over, the tour is narrated as you leave Boston Harbor, which is cool. This is one of the sights on the way--Castle Island. Aptly named, as you can see...

I'm glad I decided to take the ferry... who doesn't love ferry boats?! Also, the ferry dock is at the opposite end of town from where I was staying, which sounds not so fun but actually worked out well. "Town" is not that big, so I just put my GVSU duffle on my back and started trucking. I first passed The House of Seven Gables, which the British boy told me was pretty good. So I figured, why walk back, why not just go now? So I stopped there, dropped my stuff off, and went on the tour.

The guided tour was of the house itself, which has gone through several machinations during its existence. When Hawthorne immortalized it in his novel, he wrote about it's seven gables, or peaks. But it had less at several points in its history. Hawthorne himself never knew it with all seven, but created an ideal vision of it from stories he heard during his time there. I've never read the novel, but I might now that I know some more about it and some of the history surrounding its inception.

Near the house is Nathaniel Hawthorne's birth place, which is actually a house as it was in most cases during his day. The house is the real house, but the location is not. The house was almost destroyed until someone paid to move it to its current location near the House of the Seven Gables. Still, very cool to see. While I'm not a fan of The Scarlet Letter, I can dig me some "The Minister's Black Veil" which I teach. Love it. Geek-tastic.

After that tour, I headed to my B & B to check in, drop off my stuff, and eat lunch. I oriented myself and found a map and plotted out an afternoon of nerdy goodness. My first stop after lunch was the Lizzy Borden Museum, which was an exploration of her infamous crime. I'd always heard of what happened, but didn't really know any details, so I went in. Plus, blood and gore is kind of awesome, especially in Salem.

The museum was really just a bunch of signs that you went around to and read, but it was still pretty interesting. Very...factual. I'm not sure if she did it or not... But I suppose that's kind of the point. Anyway, here's the floor plan of the Borden house... Do YOU think she did it?

My next stop, which I was actually heading to before Lizzy distracted me, was The 1692 Witch Trials Museum, which, according to several people, was the best museum on the topic. It was good in regards to the historical accuracy and respect for what happened there in 1692. I got in for free for being a teacher (YES!!) and even got a, like, care package of materials I can use in my room. Awe. Some.

After the museum, I went to the graveyard in Salem, where one of the judges from the trials is buried. Here is his grave:

The graveyard is fronted by the Witch Trials Memorial, a square parcel of land surrounded by a stone wall containing 20 benches; each bench represents one person who was, esentially, murdered during the hysteria. Here is Bridget Bishop's "seat"--she was the first to die.

After much sight seeing and picture-taking, I needed a break so I went to Salem Brewing House and had a pint of the Hawthorne Hefweizen, which was quite delicious. Plus, there was a huge neon witch on the wall (again, more pics of all of this are on FB...), which was awesome.

I headed back to my room to recoup/find a place for dinner/change, and when I got in I noticed it was a bit chilly in there, so I went to investigate the A/C and turn it down a bit. Well... there was about half an inch of ice on the bottom of the wall unit, the wafting lacy curtains were stuck to it, and water/ice was spewing out the top, which was covered in a miasma of liquid and black... stuff. The inn keeper came to look at it after the lady at the desk was too puzzled, and he became my BFF. I moved to a new room and he gave me a bunch of stuff 'cause he said I was so nice about it. Sweet.

After that drama, I headed out to dinner and an evening wander for ice cream, which was quite successful. I thought about doing a ghost tour, but didn't really want to spend the money, so I went back to treat myself to another luxury: TV. I haven't properly watched TV since I've been here and it was time. Plus, Glee re-runs were on. During Glee, a co-worker arrived in Salem and I headed out with her and her friend for a beer. We ended up at the Gru-Gru cafe, which had a huge beer selection including this beauty:

I first discovered it at the World Cup game when a friend got one and I tried it. DE-licious. I also had a Left Hand Milk Ale, which I tried back in the MIA and found to be exceedingly enjoyable. Beer=win.

The next morning I was scheduled to depart on the 11 am ferry back to Boston, so I woke up and got some grub in the "haunted" basement of the B & B, then headed out to walk back to the docks. On the way, I passed the Salem Witch Trials Wax Museum, which I also got into for free. I wasn't going to go, but once I found out I didn't have to pay... I was all about it. Here's sweet Giles Corey, the only one accused who didn't die from hanging. In the play, Giles is my favorite.

The ferry ride back was lovely but cloudy and uneventful. Once I arrived back in Boston, I got some lunch at Quincy Market, where I've been wanting to eat since I saw its stalls a couple of weeks ago. Quincy Market is just a bunch of food stalls, like a food court in a mall if you want to picture it, but they have all kinds of amazing food. I got Indian--a creamed spinach and cheese sort of deal but the "cream" was actually curry. A. Mazing.

I had to head back early because that night my "big program" was happening. Three other staff members and I put on a talent show for our Friday program for the kiddos. Our participation from the kids wasn't great (three prizes, three kids who performed) but there was a popcorn machine which fascinated the Japanese girls immensely. I was fascinated by their fascination, lol. The program went well and the kids had a good time... but there was much popcorn to be cleaned up. On the up side, I now know how to make amazing popcorn in a popcorn machine--a skill I really feel will take me far in life. Especially in my future career as a circus performer.

More as soon as I can. Until then friends,
Much love.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home