Wednesday, May 19, 2010

New Kids, New Friends

Dreams came true again when The Weave and I went to see New Kids on the Block at The Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater. It's definitely one of my favorite venues, certainly my favorite in Miami, and seeing the New Kids there was actually pretty awesome. The seats were General Admission, though, so we had to get there pretty early to wait in line.

Annie came down from Boca and we got ready and headed to the beach. We got there around 5 or a little after and made friends with the girls in front of us, who were all the way from Washington. Apparently the "New Kids Cruise" was departing the next day, and the show as a little appeteaser. Anyway, waiting in line was an experience and the ladies who were near us seemed pretty cool and not that annoying. At one point, Weave left to grab us some dinner. She bought us an $11 feast from CVS. It was kind of awesome. lol

The crowd at the show was a slice of humanity. There were cute, seemingly normal people (and by "people" I mean "women" because, like, what guy's gonna go to New Kids?) like The Weave and I. There were some people of questionable gender (jury's still out). There were people who thought they looked AWESOME and really just looked tragic. And then there were my favorite people (and by "favorite" I mean the opposite)--the whores. This one woman (who might have been a tranny) was wearing a corset and her boobs were almost completely exposed. Um... hi. I don't want to see some strange woman's nipples, thanks. Plus, she posed for a picture with her friend, and made a face sort of like this:

People watching was certainly a way to kill time before the show, and a source of endless entertainment. I did make friends with a short girl who promised not to date any tall boys, so that was a win.

The show itself finally began (after literally a 20 minute countdown clock) and it was great. I didn't really know how such a big show would translate to a small venue, but they did well. There were, of course, big lights and lots of flashy stuff and technical magic, lots of dancing, lots of nine and ten year old girls who are 20 years older now screaming--it was what you would expect. The guys still looked hot, of course.

They sang all the old favorites plus stuff from their newest album (which is now not so new but you get the idea). They also did this chill set in front of the curtain, with just a couple guys playing guitars and them singing. Kinda cool.

Jordan came out in the white shirt I remember from childhood, but there were no fans this time. Ahh well, he still looked hot.

Jordan, Donnie, and Joey all did solos (duh) but I made a discovery during Joey's--Joey has become completely gay. It was so weird. I mean, he comes out wearing tuxedo pants and a short tuxedo jacket with tails, and no shirt. THEN he sings "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics and "Twisted." And dances around with the microphone. I mean, don't get me wrong--he looked hot, but it was kind of out of control. Sue Sylvester from Glee would have approved is all I'm saying...

Anyway, at one point, the "Kids" went off stage and walked (heavily surrounded by large, large security men) to the middle/back of the venue (about 15 feet from us, BTW) and did a little ditty, and then walked back to the stage. I'm just saying, the white shirt in this picture is Jordan Knight. He was THAT close to us...

Magical. Of course, their last song was "Hangin' Tough" and it was full of lights and energy and memories.
I can't lie--I didn't really want to go to the show when The Weave first bought the tickets, but I had a great time and now I'm really glad I went. :)

The following Saturday, I saw The Weave again for her Preakness Party. Last year, she had a Kentucky Derby party which was actually pretty fun, but this year I think she was gone (I was too, actually). It was pretty fun--the guy who won was a Garcia, so that was awesome. There were some cool people there there too, and we ended up playing a pop culture game (my team won, woot!).

It was great to spend so much time with The Weave, and relive a little bit of my childhood. Again.

Much love.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home