Friday, July 30, 2010

Bye Bye Boston

In a quest to eat delicious sea food in a city that's known for it, a co-worker organized a trip to Legal Sea Food, which I'd never heard of but is apparently a chain. About eight of us went and had a lovely adult dinner, a rare and delicious combination. I had mixed plate--shrimp, salmon, scallops and some other fish, I think. I'm not that into shrimp so I ate one and gave the rest away, and I'm getting to like salmon more and more so I ate most of that, and the scallops and fish were delicious. I was very happy with my life choices that evening, except for my drink. I ordered a white sangria hoping it would be fruity and delicious, and I got a glass of sugary watermelon-flavored sickness. NOT delicious. It's the first time I've ever sent anything back at a restaurant, which I thought might tick off the waiter but then I realized he was ticked since we sat down, so what could my little drink debacle really do at that point? So anyway, I sent it back because it was awful and got a glass of wine instead. That, at least, was drinkable.

The next day was one of our weekend field trips, a dinner/dance harbor cruise. I thought this trip would be a great way to see the city at sunset and a nice way to say goodbye to everyone because most of the kids go and quite a few of the staff as well. As the day approached, though, I heard from other, more experienced RC's that the cruise was a sort of kid-infested nightmare, especially if it rained. About five minutes after we left, it began to rain and I thought the evening was careening quickly into a no-fun zone, but about fifteen minutes later, as kids were still eating and milling about, it stopped raining and the sun came out and all was well.

Most of the kiddos, and myself and most of the other RC's, spent the majority of the cruise on the top level of the boat, where the view was best and the dance floor was hoppin'. I won't discuss the trauma that was the dance floor because I don't particularly care to relive the inappropriate amount of times I had to tell boys to put their shirts on and couples to "save room for Jesus." It was kind of funny, in a way, but also pretty disgusting and awkward.

If that was what I had to endure to see Boston at sunset, then so be it, because it was absolutely beautiful. The sky was awesome--pinks, oranges, blues, greys, yellows, all shifting and folding until the sun went completely down. There were other boats sailing the waters as well, re-igniting my desire to have/know someone with a boat so I can learn to sail away.

Okay, so take the journey with me. Here I am in my fancy dress on the boat stairs, which later became known as "the picture stairs."

Early on in our journey we passed this little island/rock outcrop/whatever it's called. I decided I wanted to live there.


Here's our group picture, minus one RC who was who knows where. We're a good lookin' crew! So classy!

As we sailed, the sun started to set, revealing this:


And this:

Someday, that will be me. :)

And here's another one:

On the left is The Garden, where the Celtics play. Celtics fever was still burning while we were there. Wearing a Lakers shirt could have been as hazardous to your health and personal safety as wearing a Yakees shirt.

After the cruise, a bunch of us went out for some adult play time involving beverages and, later, darts. It was a fun evening and I enjoyed hanging out with a bunch of the RC's outside of the dorms.

That week I also randomly had two days off (they were all at the end of the program, I guess) so I decided some beach time would be appropriate. Matt, Cindy, and I headed out to Revere one morning for some sun time. Last time I went to Revere I barely stayed an hour, this time, I made it worth my while. I did manage to get some sun (Matt got crispy because he makes bad life choices), but I also managed to get sand in every possible area of my body.

The water at Revere was SO cold it felt like ice (and this is coming from a Michigander who swam in Lake Michigan as a kid), but I just HAD to get in. So I did. All the way. I may have permanently impeded my ability to have children by freezing my neither regions, but I did get in the water, I did get back out, and I did get some sweet beach hair. Not sure it was worth it... but hindsight is 20/20, right? Good times...

That night was karaoke, our last Tuesday on Boston. Sad day. Every Tuesday it was kind of a tradition to go to 973 and, well, basically dance. Usually by the time I got there after bed checks, and waited in line, the karaoke was mostly over and there was only dancing. This Tuesday I went out big and managed to make it out before 11 and had a great night. I'm glad it went down like that, although I didn't get to meet any Irish boys while waiting in line. I'm just sayin'... It's what I do.

The day after the beach I was planning to go on the Sam Adams Brewery tour but then decided to go to The Garment District instead.

The Garment District is not a district--it's a store, as you can see. Or, maybe, a warehouse sort of thing. There are two floors. On the first, when you walk in, is a costume shop and a giant pile of clothes. I'm talking probably ten feet across and two feet deep. This pile is sold by the pound, so you sift through, find some treasures, and end up paying less then four dollars for a brown suede jacket, a Ralph Lauren button-down, a t-shirt for your sister, and a white skirt. I'm just sayin'... Then the upstairs is an actual store with racks sorted by size and decade and stuff. Some of the items up there are new and botique-y, and some are vintage. I got a skirt up there that looks like a couch, which is a quality I actually love in clothing, for $9. Pretty sweet. I'm glad I went; that place is like a treasure hunt where everyone finds treasure!

That day was the end of our regular routine because Thursday and Friday the kiddos had dress rehersals and their performance or demonstrations. I went to the studio Thursday afternoon to see two of my girls rehearse the number they were going to do in the show (to some music by none other than a GVSU group... I know, crazy, right?!). Their dance was my favorite! It was my mission to watch all my kiddos dance; a mission I accomplished today when I spent the whole day (well, a good portion of the morning, anyway!) at the studio watching each class' demonstration. I learned some, and I got to see all thirteen of my girls. It was really cool and I was so proud of all of them.

These kids, some of them only fourteen or fifteen, are on the precipice of being truly, truly great (if they're not already). I can't imagine that. Staring down a career and a life path at that age... I'm completely amazed and awed by every one of those kids. They're spectacular. <3

Much love.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home