Thursday, August 06, 2009

Ribs and Tacos

Last Saturday we had a Tex-Mex potluck at our house where ribs and tacos were on the menu. We're still eating tacos (I've had them in some form every day but one since then...) and Tiffany and I have a "rib date" on Saturday. 'Cause they were GOOOOD.

In other news, nothing too exciting is going on. I've been working out every morning (yay me!) but unable to properly sun myself due to the fact that the pool is closed for repairs. It's been sunny and beautiful ALL WEEK (rare during the summer) and I can't even enjoy it by sitting by the pool. Um... Why don't they do repairs in February when it's "cold"? Why didn't they fix the pool in the year and a half it was just sitting there, finished, with water in it, but residents weren't able to swim? Why didn't they just BUILD IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME? I'm so sick of construction I could just barf--school's under construction, our condo complex is constantly under construction... Good thing I'm spending my days in Florida rather than Michigan, because that would just be worse--at least there's very little road construction.

Okay... rant over. Um, what else have I been up to? Last Friday there was a women's event at church that I went to. We were supposed to do dinner and a movie (just the women from church were invited) but it actually turned out to be only dinner because the movie, The Proposal, was sold out. What?! It's been out for a while! Anyway, dinner was at Dan Marino's and I had the French onion soup (gross) and a salad (decent), but the best part of the night was the company. I met some very cool ladies and had lovely dinner conversation about Ryan Reynolds. :)

Sunday I went to church, as per usual, but it was special for two reasons: one, Yesi, who was in Tallahasee for the past six weeks, was back! It was SO GREAT to see her! I missed her a ton. The second reason it was special was because Karla, who I'd met on Friday, and I had discussed Sunday kareoke and my homegirl came through! We went to Titanic after church and sang kareoke for a couple of hours. Yesi and I did a moving--dare I say mindblowing?--rendition of "Summer Nights" from Grease complete with blocking. I was Danny, and Yesi was Sandy. It must've been hilarious.

The problem was, one of the guys with us was a worship leader at another church, so he sang and actually SANG. I kind of feel like that's cheating. And THEN, one of the worship leaders from OUR church wouldn't even sing. Still, it was fun and I discovered another diabetic girl (woot!) and hung out with cool peeps. Yay.

I took myself to the movies Tuesday. I went to see 500 Days of Summer with Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. It was pretty cute--Summer, the girl in the movie, is from Michigan so that's pretty cool. The movie was pretty dark for a "love story", which I totally dig, and Joseph Gordon Levitt was all broken and sad and skinny and *love*! Oh, and side note: matinee prices=KEY to life!

I also spent the rest of my day cooking and baking. I made these avocado muffins, because yeah, they sounded just weird enough to be good. And they are. Except they have too many almonds in them, and next time I'll use almond extract as well. But I'm quite happy with the way they turned out. I also made a bunch of food to freeze, which, in retrospect, was a bad decision because it's hurricane season and two weeks without power mean a lot of food goes to waste. So... fingers crossed I get to eat all the delicious lasagna, green bean, and broccoli casserole I made before a hurricane blows Florida off the map. In fact, just cross your fingers that there's no hurricane at all. I'd be cool with that, too.

Yesterday evening turned into a surprise epic adventure when Yesi called me. See, she's moving to Ft. Lauderdale (sad) because she got a job teaching theater there (yay!). She and I took a road trip to scope out places for her to live. We headed up there two check out two places she'd spoken to people about, but we ended up stumbling into this cute little "historic neighborhood" with a studio for rent. She called on the place but had to leave a message.

We ate dinner at this amazing hot dog place called Dogma, that had all these crazy toppings for the dogs. Fresh toppings. Mmm. I had a "California Dog" (a chili cheese dog) but added jalapenos. And they were HOT and glorious. I can't wait to visit Yesi and eat there again!

Yesi and I left after driving around for a bit, but we decided we needed, yes NEEDED, Krispy Kreme donuts. There aren't any in Miami really, so we went on a quest for on and found one on the way home. SCORE! While we were getting them, Carol from the studio apartment called, and we headed back to Ft. Lauderdale to look at the place. It turned out to be tiny but nice and Carol's house was immaculate. So immaculate in fact that it was on the cover of Home magazine a while back. How cool is that?

Yesi and I had a fruitful and fun evening, and Tiffany was happy because I brought her donuts, too. And let me just say that Krispy Kreme donuts are A. MAZING when they're fresh and hot. Oh Lord in Heaven hallelujah!

Tomorrow's Friday and I'm hoping some fun activities take place... perhaps some sushi consumption or some happy hour beverages? And then Saturday I'm heading to SoBe to play for a bit before my "rib date." Woot!

Too bad summer's almost over... I'm just hitting my stride!

Much love.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home