Sunday, June 17, 2012

One Short Day in the Empire City

A couple of months ago, a friend and co-worker asked me what I thought about a day-trip to NYC to see the show Newsies.  Not being able to go on spring break, coupled with the (abnormal?) amount that I love the movie Newsies, made this a very simple question to answer.  Of COURSE I said yes!  And we made it happen.

We flew out pretty early and, 'cause my friend's a baller on American Airlines, flew first class and enjoyed breakfast on the plane.  We arrived with some time before lunch, so we headed to H & M for a little NYC shopping.  The day, as you can see, was absolutely beautiful.


Walking around the city was glorious, and shopping at H & M was also glorious.  I got two new dresses, pineapple underwear, and a chain for my sunglasses.  I'd been joking with my students about needing a chain for my glasses, and there one was, for only $3.  Awesome.  Heck yes, I rock that shiz.

After some lite shopping, we found a little place for lunch.  It was a tiny little place that had anything you could want--frozen yogurt, sandwiches, salads, and even sushi and Korean food in the back.  I had Korean bi bim bap, which was expensive but nostalgically delicious.  What cost me about $3 in Korea costs me three times as much here, but that can't be helped, I suppose.  Here I want it more.

After bi bim bap (and frozen yogurt, duh!) we headed to the theater, The Nederlander.  The line to get in was around the building and went on for about two blocks, but we made it to the front eventually.


While we were waiting to get in, Fredy, my friend and partner in crime, dropped a little surprise bomb on me.  He is friends with the stage manager of the show!  We were going to see him after the show and get backstage!  How amazing is that?!  I almost couldn't wait until the show was over for the surprise.

Almost.

The show was magical.  I read an article a few weeks before the show about the music and the show itself, so I knew NOT to expect the movie, which is what I sort of wanted it to be.  Some of the lyrics were changed, a little bit of the story-line was tweaked, but all the stuff I love from the movie was there.  The tap sequence to "King of New York" make my life joyful.

Jeremy Jordan, who played the lead role of Jack Kelly, played Dolly Parton's grandson in Joyful Noise, which Fredy and I tried to watch on the plane on the way home (we didn't finish it, sadly.).  He can sing and act well, and, although he's not Christian Bale, did a great job.  The other "big name" in the show was Alex Wong, from So You Think You Can Dance?  He had to leave the show mid-season because he snapped his Achilles tendon, but apparently he's recovered and on Broadway now!  It was really cool to see him in the show, and he is still an amazing dancer.  The show was nominated, I found out, for eight Tony's.  Pretty awesome and totally deserved!

After the show, we met up with the stage manager, who got us not just backstage but ON stage.  Jeremy Jordan was just walkin' around like it was no big deal that he was three feet from me while we were walking all over the stage and seeing the sets, the props, and even some of the "magic" that goes into the show.  I.  Was on the stage.  Of a Broadway theater.  If I hadn't experienced it myself, I wouldn't have believed it either! 

The entire time we were walking back stage I just wanted to steal something, but I probably could've just asked for a prop paper and gotten one.  Given the novelty of the situation in my life, I wasn't really sure about proper protocol.  Shoul've just asked for a darn paper.

After the show, we walked a bit to get a cab back to the airport so we could head home, and we happened to walk by this.  The Journalism teacher in me couldn't resist snapping this picture.  Epic journalism, kids.  I need to remember where it is so when we go on CSPA next year, we can at least walk by the building.


We headed home much the way we'd come, making quick work of the lines at security and even having a few moments (and drinks!) in the Admiral's Lounge before heading on the flight.  This is the view from the window.


We flew back first class as well (Like I said, dude's a baller.  Like, George Clooney's character in Up in the Air baller) and enjoyed dinner on the plane.

It was a great day.

Much love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home